Friday, December 15, 2006

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind

Wow! What a stormy night. I'm here at work, late, the powers still out at our house since 9:00pm, Franks at home taking care of the house and the animals, Lexie is at Grama Betty's for the day.

The wind was amazing peaking out in gusts up to 60mph. We sat on the back porch, shelterd from the wind by the house, and protected from falling branches by the cover, and watched our three Ponderosa Pines and the neighbors evergreens, and the distant towering, leafless Oaks, dance and sway with each gust. The clouds were tinged salmon on the horizon. Brilliant flashes of blue light could be seen in any direction as you watched the horizon. After a particularly close transformer light up the sky, losing its hold to the wind, the neighboorhood one street over went dark. This was around 7:30pm. We watched the wind, and a movie until ours went out. Then I put on my Portland to Coast walk relay hat with the built in LED light for night walking, and searched out the Coleman Lantern, assembled it and lit it, found a spare box of duralogs burried in the garage, and pulled out the coleman stove and set it up on the back deck. Frank cooked us up some sausage, egg, and cheese burritos for dinner, we watched the tiny, tiny battery operated color tv a few times until it became unworthy of the time it took to replace the four double A batteries after about 7-10 minutes.

Word(s) of the day: PNEUMA.

Lexie log: I came up with my own childgrens story this morning on the way to work. Lexie was asking me about clouds, and what were they doing, which is a pretty routine question for her. I usually tell her how they work in a pretty dull fashion, but this morning as I was driving her to Grama Betty's, I told her the story of the Clouds day at work. She loved it so much she asked me to tell it to her again twice. Each time the story gained a couple additional characters and dialouge, and got better. The first thing she wanted to do when she got to Grama Betty's is to try and retell the story to her. So cute, I think I'll try to write it down.

Today I'm grateful for Lexie and Frank, Mom and Dad, the weather, the wind, hard working utility crews, coleman products, flashlights, fun with my daughter, storms, and life.

No comments: