Friday, October 12, 2007

I was walking down the street one day...

From the KGW website:

Portland bank robbery suspect tries to flee on MAX train

06:48 PM PDT on Thursday, October 11, 2007

By TERESA BELL-BLACKMAN, kgw.com Staff

A man wearing a disguise robbed a Northeast Portland bank Thursday and then fled on a MAX train, police said.




Police said a man wearing a wig and surgical mask came into the Sterling Savings Bank at 4728 NE Sandy and threatened the teller, saying he had a bomb.

The man took off with an unknown amount of cash.

A short time later, police caught up with the suspect at the MAX stop near the Lloyd Center Mall and arrested a suspect.

No one was hurt and no explosives or weapons were found, the FBI said.

End quote--

Sometime around 1:00pm yesterday I was walking down 47th for my afternoon break walk. As I approached Halsey, I noticed a police car screech to a halt and an officer leapt out and ran. Suddenly, police cars sprouted from every horizon, dozens of them. No sirens, at first, just dozens of cars with lights flashing and engines roaring, all coming from four different directions towards the intersection I was about to turn on. Then they seemed to split and block streets individually while a group of about four or five turned on their sirens in what must have been pursuit. It was all quite surreal. I know I’ve mentioned what an interesting neighborhood I work in, so here’s another example.

No comments: