Thursday, September 06, 2007

An evening in the life of...

First, let me preface this by admitting to my Dad that I started the title with four periods...but then promptly remembered that this is not grammatically correct, and deleted the last.
 
An evening in the life of... I discussed with Miss Amy (Lexie's teacher, daycare giver) what time naps were so I could not disturb naps when I picked her up early on Friday.  Since we discussed this today, Amy, forgetting that I've told her already "Friday", had her ready today, Thursday.  Harrumph.  Sorry Miss Amy.  Lex and I drive from her school to Petco to get a muzzle for Griff.  I have no strong belief it will be useful, as he is amazingly talented and dexterous(sp?) enough to either pull it off or chew it to oblivion.  But I'd rather have it since he is so protective.  Lexie is looking to acquire some frogs, since her school chum, Madeline, is so adept at catch and release of the said amphibians.  We shop at Freddy's and have some pouting issues, easily overcome by promise of camping tomorrow, and threat of loosing points.  Home, finally, and Lexie eats grapes and macaroni for dinner as I PRY her Barbie Jeep from the RV. First, Turkey, the marmalade cat, is causing no end to discomfort as he stares Lexie down at her dinner.  He can be quite a malice and intimidating when he puts his eyes to staring at you in want.  So, Lexie is afflicted with the "Turkey Eye" and keeps calling me in for defense.  I advise her to just give him one noodle and I'll try to distract him, which I do by letting him out front.  Then, Inevitably I hear, "Mommy, Turkey's starring at me again!"   After I'm finally pissed enough at my lack of progress in removing the Jeep, I call my Dad to gripe.  He lets me, I hang up determined to call it quits then try again. I finally dislodged the damned thing.  Lexie came out and drove the Jeep around the court.  She accompanied me to the mailbox and then weaved in and out of the new neighbors skateboarding route.  It was similar to watching the Barnum and Bailey's Circus act with the tight rope walker and the motorbike on the same tightrope.  Weird, less dangerous but weird.  Said court neighbor skater had a set "track" he practiced on which involved jumping up the curb next to my Pathfinder.  Lexie would weave in and out of it, and had to patiently wait and time his next assault on the curb.  Whew!  By this time winded by the ordeal of pre-camp setup, I watched this distraction for a while, then proceeded to try to drag that awful Barbie Jeep to the back yard.  To quote Homer Simpson, "Damnation!"  Lexie was content to four wheel around one half of the yard while I packed the rest of the RV, then got "stuck" and Mommy tow truck came to the rescue. After one bath, one tantrum, a new house rule on putting away toys, and "Points" given and taken away for all mentioned before plus some...all is settled, we're ready for camping (ALMOST) and it's Jumangi and bed.

2 comments:

Tonya said...

YIKES!! What a night :o) At least you have camping tomorrow to look forward to.

Barb Rainey said...

Egads Rachel! I commend your philisophical and erudite comments on an evening that would only have elicited *&%#@!!%&## from me when I was in your situation with my three kids. But then, I did have 3 to your 1 and perhaps that might have made a difference. but I doubt it!