Friday, May 02, 2008

Scratch and sniff

When I picked Lexie up from school Wednesday, she had made a little spring book.  She handed to me and asked me to smell the stickers.  Wow!  I haven't seen scratch and sniff for a long time.  I was excited.  The top one had an apple on it, so I'm thinking, "mmm, apple" as Lexie and Ms. Amy watch with great anticipation.  I scratch, I sniff, I furrow my brow, and wrinkle my nose.  I say, "That...is not apple."  And then as I notice the apple has a worm squiggling through it, Lexie and I both say in unison, "Dirt!"  Lexie and Ms. Amy peel with laughter.  Ooohh, you funny girl.

My idea of the perfect lunch/dinner on a chilly day:  A grilled cheese sandwich from Tilly's with a the creamy tomato soup with Asiago croutons from Panera.  Nummy.

My idea of an unforgettable experience, watching Lexie get an ear lavage at the doctors the last visit.  She had pronounced hearing loss post ear infection.  She produces so much wax, that they couldn't see into her ears enough to see if there was fluid.  Wow, what an experience.  First Lexie got all dolled up in a dressing gown with a couple towels padded around her neck.  Next the nurse used a plastic syringe to put some softening stuff in both ears; Lexie did not enjoy this at all.  Lot's of cold, wet stuff being squished into your ear.  Then she sat for ten minutes with cotton balls in her ears.  The, I held her head sideways against my chest and held a curved plastic bowl under her ear as the nurse used a special syringe to force warm water hastily into her ear to push out the wax.  This really didn't go well with Lex.  She squirmed and squealed, and begged us to stop.  I tried to distract her by counting the goldfish that the nurse was coaxing out of her ears.  She became interested and at each "break" from the flushing, wanted to look into the bowl.  A week or so later, out of the blue, she asked me if I remembered when we were at the doctor and the got all the wax out of her ears.  It was a very impressive amount.  She did have fluid and the doctor said it could take quit awhile to go down.  He also said that cold wind wouldn't have any impact on ear health, and that swimming is one of the best things she can do to combat her ear wax production.

Today I'm grateful for; Lexie, my animals, Mom and Dad, swimming, my new PCP, science projects, weekends, nummy lunches, and life.


No comments: