Friday, June 17, 2005

Jump to the jam boogy woogy jam slam. Bust the dialect I'm the man in command.

Last night I made a little Felix sling because he likes for me to hold him, but after about ten minutes, my arm gets tired. He lay in it for a while, but then got out, so we're not sure yet how this idea will fly. I hope it works. -- Oh my goodness! Those were the best homemade shredded beef enchiladas ever created on earth. The shredded beef was on the spicy side, but next time I'll make milder for milder tastes. The most brilliant thing was throwing it together with whatever we had in the house. Wednesday night, this is what we put in the crock pot: 1 round tip roast, 2/3 cup hot water with 0ne beef bullion cube dissolved in it, 1/2 white onion chopped, dash of olive oil, about 1/2 tsp paprika, a couple shakes of pepper, a couple shakes of garlic salt, a couple dashes hot sauce, five packets of Taco Time's green salsa, one packet of Carl's Jr. red salsa, and two packets Dominos hot pepper sprinkles. Cooked in on low for about nine hours. I came up with the 'recipe' myself. Frank turned it off this morning when he got up. Then he let it cool and shredded it. Last night we made the enhiladas. In a mixing bowel I mixed most of the shredded beef with 3/4 cup enchilada sauce (from 19oz can Old El Paso enchilada sauce) and 1 1/4 cup shredded Mexican blend of cheese. Then Frank spooned the shredded beef filling into six flour tortillas (soft taco size) and put them side by side in a baking dish lightly coated with no stick spray. We poured the rest of the can of enchilada sauce and another 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheese over the top (see picture below). We baked them at 375 for 15 minutes, then left them in the oven (temp off) for a while longer. Oh my were they tasty. We will definitely do that again. We didn't even open the sourcream we bought for them they were so delicious by themselves. You really can throw a dish together with a crock pot. Thank you Taco Time, Carl's, and Domino's for the extras. What next? Something chicken and cheesey, I believe is in order.

Word(s) of the day: TANGOITIS with PEELS OF LAUGHTER

Lexie log: Come out, come out, wherever you are! I forgot about this until I was talking to Grammy on the phone last night. About one week ago, as we were starting on the downside of illness, and any ounce of feeling better was cause for celebration, Lexie had another noteable first. Ever since she was able to motor around on her own, I have been playing hide and seek with her. She loves to be startled from behind doorways or around corners, nothing else brings peels of laughter out of her so well. It used to be that the most difficult part was to wait silently and patiently as she caught up to your hiding spot on all fours. Now that she's more mobile and faster, the hard part is getting to the hiding spot without her seeing you get there. This is an activity that we partake in at least once or twice a week. It sends the cats off to safer perimeters while we trounce up and down the hallway and through different rooms loudly stomping about puncutated with squeels of delight and laughter. Last week we were in the living room and, I asked her to do something she didn't want to do (come with me to change her diaper). She took off running down the hall, and thinking nothing more of it, I was slow to follow her. Usually she just ends up in our bedroom on the bed protesting and letting me know she does not approve. This time we were on our way out of the house, so I did a few 'get ready to leave' things, like find my keys, on the way to get her. When I did look in our room, she wasn't there. I backtracked to her room, and nothing. I went around the corner to the office and a quick glance in there proved vacancy. I headed back to the kitchen and met up with Frank who had been on the back deck, and when I asked him, "Where's Lexie?" he didn't know. We both got puzzled looks on our faces and walked into the living room, no Lex. We made our way back down the hallway looking in each room as we passed and came to the closed bathroom door. We looked at each other, slightly astonished and smiling. She had become the hider, we the seekers. We opened the door, no Lex. Baffled, we now headed back down the hall, just starting to consider what possible spots we may have shown her in our games, when we heard a quiet, "Momma...". She had cleverly given away the general direction she could be at without giving herself away, a little trick I always use if she hasn't found me after a while, and I'm bored waiting. We headed back to the bathroom, guessing that we hadn't looked good enough in there. No Lex. Then out of the corner of my eye I spied a sneaky little figure just barely visible in the crack of the open office door. She came out with a, "BOO!" We shrieked, jumped, and laughed like good seekers. She had been hiding behind the door, of course. So, two of her most recently aquired skills inclued turning off lights and hiding behind doors. She's funny!

Today I'm grateful for Frank and Lexie, Fridays and weekends, fresh warm biscuits with butter and Marion berry jam, crock pots, huge downpours of rain while sitting out on the covered back deck, and life.

No comments: