Wednesday, March 23, 2005

You don't bring me flowers anymore.

Strange thing happens at work once every couple weeks. I end up having to help the clinic's accountant get dressed. It always cracks me up, so I thought I'd share. It's a legitimate request on her part, as she has trouble and pain with her hands and fingers. So, every so often she walks out to my desk holding out one of her arms for me to roll up her sleeve or button a cuff.

Yesterday I sent an email to the office administrator with the answer to a question we had about one of the provider networks we contract with. It was detailed yet concise, and even co-workers who weren't familiar with the situation were able to understand my explanation. Why then, when I came in to work this morning, did his reply state, "I need a map." Thanks for the early morning mental contortion JB. When I read this my face squinched all up and I started blinking really fast. I still haven't gotten over it yet. He's here but I haven't had a chance to meet with him about it yet.

Duty update: So far this morning I've posted payments, made copies, reset password, unlocked account, looked into print spooler issue long enough to discover that Seth was already working on, chit-chatted work and non-work related with co-workers, and researched some trivial question on the Internet, such as the age difference between Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher and a White Snake video.

TT coined a term I really like today. Something that technical writers would be most prone too. Apparently she reading/auditing directions for a job duty that someone else wrote up. She used the term, 'Narcotic Instructions'. Funny.

Ok, the last work piece for today's blog. I realized this morning that I've had a major attitude change towards calling patients. I used to avoid it like the plague, in fact, I didn't really like making any calls, even insurance. Now that I've been working harder on my A/R report, I've discovered that calling patients is the best way to get things resolved, and on top of that, they are pretty much pleasant and nice to talk to. I mean, had I ever really taken the time to think on the subject, common sense would tell me that they would be highly motivated to do anything that would help the insurance pay instead of them. And since billing insurance is theoretically really only an extra service, it is the ultimately the patient's responsibility, they are quite helpful. Not to mention that, in general, the insurance companies are much more helpful and willing to work with their members then to providers. This has been Business Office Principles 101. Okay, class dismissed.

Word(s) of the day: BITUMINOUS

Okay...Hello? Is anyone out there? No one sends me comments anymore.

Lexie log: The karate dancing Monday night was such a hit, we went for another round last night. Finished off the video tape with it. -- I think I forgot to mention that Lexie has started taking a half a children's' chewable vitamin a day. Yah! -- When I got home from the gym last night Lexie hadn't taken a nap yet (it was already 5:00pm). She was on her sit'n spin, and Daddy said that she was refusing to quit even though she was literally falling asleep at the wheel. She would rest her head on the wheel and spin herself around with one hand. Anyone who has read past blog entries may notice that I changed the way I spell sit'n spin. Well, this is because I looked it up on the Internet to see if there were any reports of hazards or dangers for children who use this toy to excess. We know Lexie is an adrenaline junkie for sure, she loves to fall, fly, get dizzy, spin, etc., but sometimes when she's on the thing she tilts her head and makes these creepy expression looking like her eyes are going to roll in the back of her head. I'm 99.9% positive that this is just some technique she uses to "heighten" the experience of spinning and vertigo, but it is still very unsettling to see. Last Monday, Grammy couldn't even take it anymore, so she moved the thing out to the back deck. I know from experience that she is simply intensifying the adrenaline. When I was her age and even older I would do similar things. I used to lay down on my Dad's office floor and roll back and forth over and over as fast as possible just to experience the physical effect, like a miniature version of what a person would feel on a rollercoaster, or other thrill amusement park ride. So, like her mother (me) Lexie will probably become an adrenaline and or thrill junkie. I just hope and pray that she keeps it to a healthy level and doesn't cross the line to artificial substances. It is so very important to both her Dad and I that she understands the difference between a healthy, natural high, and drug abuse. Ok, done with my little worry trip for now. All this poured out of my head because of a sit'n spin?

Today's blog was brought to you by the letter Z, and the number 3.

Today I am grateful for Frank and Lexie, flowers, rain, my Northern Blooms of Alaska bookmark that some patient included with their payment coupon and that TT gave to me because she knows I was listening to a book about Alaska, coffee, water, my new swimsuit, and rainbows.

No comments: