Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Mammas don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys...

Printer maintenance guy hasn't shown up yet. First thing this morning work slaps me in the face with a stinging thwack! I successfully blocked all work related thoughts out of my head for the last 72 hours. Already the 2D07 printer crisis has reared it's head and I'm none too thrilled, so I take two steps backward and encourage Gweena BoBeena (Hell, it is her birthday anyway...) to take charge of the situation. Not that she needs much encouragement, control freak that she is. Of course, since I was so successful blocking work thoughts, I successfully forgot today was her b-day, and didn't get a card, potluck item, gift, etc. Stuck with the old lame-o Hallmark E-Card that screams, "When you care enough to send the very best, but you just forgot, so here's an animated card...that's quick and cheap."

Word(s) of the day: THWACK

Lexie log: Awesome weekend. The longer the better. Saturday we spent the afternoon at Gramma Betty's. My favorite, sitting on the front porch watching Lex chase dog and ducks, talking with Daddy, Betty, PattyAnn, and Jay. Saturday morning at about 9:30am, Grammy and Grandpa Dale arrived at our house. We all piled into the Accord and drove to the Quatama Max station. Lexie's first Max train ride. She was excited the moment the train showed up. We got to the next station before Daddy asked if I had locked the car. Nope. A day on faith that no one will target the shiny dark blue 2005 Honda. Phew. Lexie loved the train ride, and Grandpa Dale took on role of keeping an eye on the hyper, hungry, bottle of curious energy. At the first couple of stops she bolted for the door, ya know, any opening door is an open invitation. It was a fun trip. She did have a tantrum for a while when she couldn't go every where she wanted to go, and had to have a semi-nap relax period of me holding her before we arrived at Pioneer square. We walked across the square, and then up to Pioneer Place. None of the stores were open yet, but we headed for the food court and had breakfast and Starbucks coffee. Then we headed up the elevator to the Bose store and Grampa, Daddy, and I checked out the sound systems while Grammy and Lexie did laps. Next it was on to the scooter store, then Sharper Image. By that point I had easily spent an imaginary $9297.00 dollars. Daddy and I test drove the supreme ultimate massage chair. I still can't think about it without shaking my head in amazement. I don't know how I'm going to manage it, but I will have one of those someday. We went on every floor, up and down all the escalator, went through the under-street tunnel, over the skybridge. It was great. Then we walked up to Finnegan's toy store. Daddy bought me a mini-kite from a street vendor. I can't wait to try it out. The vendor was flying one at the corner, so cool. Then we spent 45 minutes in the toy store. She loved this little bug house tent and Thomas train set. We got her a battery operate light toy called the "Meteor Storm". She loves it. Then it was time for the train home. She was asleep before we got to the zoo. She napped all the way back to Beaverton. Then yesterday, we took a Memorial Day outing to Multnomah falls. She loved the falls. Made me nervous on the bridge at Multnomah Falls. She kept wanting to stick her head between the railing, and she's just small enough to fit through. Oi, even typing in now gives my stomach butterflies. She slept on the way home from that fun journey also. That morning she started having a cough, and Daddy predicted a cold. He was dead on. Last night her cold became croupe, so we have a live-in seal baby. The cough is so, I don't know how to describe it. It's almost cute in this, "poor baby, you sound just like a little seal, I hope you feel ok," way. She had two children's grape flavored chewable Tylenol last night. When I left this morning, she was burning up, but she refused to take more Tylenol. I hope Daddy is able to persuade her to take some. Fun day ahead for Daddy. At least we're prepared since we've been through this before. She slept in our bed with the cool air humidifier running all night. Tiki sleeps up by her head and wakes up with a coating of mist all over his fur.

Today I'm grateful for Frank and Lexie, long weekends with outings, chewable Tylenol and humidifiers, window tint, water, massage chairs, and stuff.

No comments: