Friday, May 06, 2005

Oooohhhhhh, She whistled and she.........

I couldn't help it. That song(?) pops into my head every so often, and it's the only thing that came to me this morning. I only know the words to the first verse, Dad would'nt repeat the rest, actually he did once years ago, but I don't remember them. I think I'm glad.

Dinner last night was excellent! First Frank cooked up some cheesy potatoes, then we roasted fish. The fish was remarkable. Uncle Fred brought a bunch down from Alaska on his last visit, and we have been hesitating cooking it, since neither of us ever have. I decided to blog the recipes, from memory, just for the haha of it, and I loved it so much.

Cheesy Tatoe Caserole:
1lb bag of frozen Ore-Ida hasbrown potatoes
16 oz bag shredded mexican blend cheese
16 oz sourcream
one can Campbell's cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup
1/4 cup grated white onion (optional)

Preheat oven to 350-375 degrees. Save one quarter of the cheese for topping. Combine rest of the ingredients in large mixing bowl. Put mixture in glass caserole dish and bake in oven for approx. 45 minutes. During last 5-10 minutes sprinkle additional cheese on top and brown.

Roasted Lemon Salmon:
2 tblsp butter
2 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
lemon
pepper
1 1/2 - 2 lb Salmon

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Heat butter, olive oil and salt in sauce pan until butter melted. Pour half of butter mixture on bottom of shallow baking dish. Place rinsed, pat dried Salmon in dish skin side up. Pour remaining butter mixture of top of fish and pepper as desired. Place fish in oven and cook for five minutes. Remove from oven and carefully turn Salmon skin side down. Use large spoon to ladel juices from pan over the fish. Sprinkle pepper and squeeze lemon as desired and pour more pan juices if desired. Return to oven and cook additional five minutes. When done, skin should easily peel off fish.

Nummy nummy nummy, and fairly healthy if eaten in moderate portions.

Word(s) of the day: TURKEY SWOOP

Yesterday we watched Ocean's 12. Even though I spent most of the movie confused, I still thought it was excellent. I would love to watch 11 and then 12 again right after. I also want to see Foul Play with Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn again.

Lexie log: Lexie actually ate some fish and didn't spit it out. -- Lexie likes to stand on the couch behind where we sit, and then grab me around the neck/shoulders and pull me back to squish her. She thinks this is great fun and has been doing it a lot lately. We also have a newish game I call the 'Ribbit game'. There is a large window cling of a frog on the oversized living room windows behind the couch. Lexie sits on my lap, points over my shoulder at the frog and says, "Look!" I turn my head and stare at the frog until she puts her hand on my chin and turns my head to look back at her. Then she stares at me with a big smile on her face and waits some undetermined, random amount of time before she yells, "RIBBIT!", I'm supposed to say it in unison as we give each other a big bear hug. I'm not exactly sure how it started, but we still do it every once in a while. Another thing she likes to do is package herself in her mini-futon Grammy got her. It folds out into a bed with couch back, she climbs in it and folds it back up as tight as she can so that you can barely tell she's in there. A little Lexie futon wrap.

Today I'm grateful for Frank and Lexie, weekends, Mother's Day, my mom (who I still think of as Mommy), dark blue, rainclouds, salmon, hairclips, talking on the phone with Lex, teeth, and recliners.

No comments: