Friday, September 23, 2005

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, Hunting the horny back toad, Oh I've finally decided my future lies, Beyond the yellow brick road

We’re going to take a look at the 1990 Burley bike trailer tonight.  $75.00.  The lady says it’s been in storage for ten years and it needs a lot of cleaning, but other than that it’s great.  Frank and I figure some bleach and our hand held steamer and it should do the trick.  All the other older Burleys are selling for $175.00 plus.  This seems to be the top of the line manufacturer.  The starting bid for a new, lesser brand name on e-bay is over a hundred with shipping.  I put a ‘wanted’ poster in the lunchroom and a couple girls at work are taking copies home to their apartment bulletins, but I’m pretty sure we’ll get this one.  

Word(s) of the day: ARMADILLO

Lexie log:  I shed a tear for her innocence yesterday.  We went on a nice walk after work to a dilapidated old park in the shadow wood neighborhood.  It used to be maintained with funds for the homeowners dues, but I think the neighborhood has long since disassociated the homeowners association.  Anywhoo, Lexie didn’t seem to know the difference, we played on the swings, her first ‘real’ swing – not a basket swing.  The whole time we were there, across the street a group of five boys age ranging from approx. five to ten years old, were having the normal leadership/power struggles.  The oldest seeming to really need to be ‘the boss’.  Lexie had pretty much had her fill of the playground, but didn’t want to leave.  The boys managed to creep over to our side of the street during their heated discussion of baseball cards.  Lexie’s little innocent face beamed at the thought of making new friends and she looked at me and said, “Say hi, Momma?”.  I smiled back at her and encouraged her to go ahead and say hi to them.  Now exactly what is a 2 ½ little girl to a group of pre-pubescent boys?  Something reminiscent of ‘Cooties’ comes to mind.  Something not to be trifled with.  Lexie’s age is still all loving and friendly.  As I watched her continually wave at them and say ‘hi’ in the sweetest voice ever to enter my ears, a couple tears rolled down my checks, as they foreseeably ignored her.  They must have been afraid that she would insist on playing with them. They loitered their way back across the street except for one younger one who was up in a tree.  Lexie beckoned me to come over to her and help her say hi, and now as an afterthought I really wish I had.  I didn’t give her any backup, and I’m not sure why.  She waved and waved up to the boy in the tree calling out, “hi” to him, but he never acknowledged her even though he knew she was there.  Later when I told Frank, he said he would have gone over with her so that they would have at least said hi, I wish I had.  She’ll never remember it, but I’ll never forget it.  The edge of innocence.  Next time I will go and say hi too.  No reason a 34 year old can’t walk up to a group of kids and give them a polite greeting. Oh wicked hormones, givest thee a break.  A tear creeps to the brim as I recollect.  – On another note…I’m really excited about the future possibility of a sibling for Lex, but I’m starting to get those odd feelings like how can it be possible to spread the intense love I have for her to another child…

Today I’m grateful for Frank and Lexie, the cats, coffee, walks, sunshine, water, swimming lessons, and weekends.

No comments: