Friday, September 30, 2005

Here comes the rain again, Falling on my head like a memory, Falling on my head like a new emotion

Oooh, but I did miss this weather!  I love the sun and all, but a nice, warm, rain shower in scrumptious.  So at work this morning, still dusky dark outside, I have the window open listening to the morning traffic parade by, puddle by puddle, and the Friday garbage collectors trucks slamming open and shut the industrial size trash receptacles around the Hollywood District.  It’s 8:15am and commuters are still using headlights.  Warm sweet rain smell mixed with the occasional coolish breeze.  – Last day of September.  We went biking last night and learned a few things.  My bike seat wasn’t tightened enough and that was fun to find out…Cruising along at a nice pace, and FLOOP!  All the sudden my knees are slamming into my chest and I can barely pedal.  It actually would have been a lot funnier if I wasn’t so tightly wound about not having regularly/seriously biked in about five years and now I’m towing the most precious cargo, Lexie, behind me.  Frank fixed up the seat, yeah Honey, and on to the next learning aspect.  When you haven’t biked in awhile, and you’re not in peak shape anymore, pick a beginner trail, and scope it out before you hit it.  This trail was hilly, not so big a deal except that the downhills and uphills were to get to and cross…roads.  This is a inter-neighborhood trail that crosses a few side streets.  The rest of the park is elevated, but when you get to a road crossing, you have a steep slope down.  My nervousness was already peaked and it freaked me out.  Then the first uphill, I was out of practice with my gears and after coasting halfway up with momentum I went to pedal and came to a complete and sudden stop.  Anchored by Lexie, this was funny….Yeah, that’s what I mean funny.  All in all it went very smoothly and we had a good time.  Weather permitting; we’ll be doing more of that.  – It’s now 9:28 and still headlights on cars, pouring rain.  I started typing my blog right when I got in, and come back to it every once in a while to type a sentence or two, just so you all know I actually do get some work done.  I just poke my nose back in every hour or so with a new thought, then I finalize up at break.  In case you cared how I do this at work.  Ok, so now it is 10:49 and I’m on break.  Headlights still on, still raining and darkish.  – I’m having issues with my batch postings lately.  I either use a funky batch number that doesn’t make any sense, like Sunday’s date when there is no mail Sundays, or a June date instead of September.  Then when I’m done posting I’m not balanced, off by maybe eleven cents and have to audit.  Focus.

Word(s) if the day:  SCRUMPDILLYICIOUS

Lexie log:  She just loves the trailer.  She really enjoyed the ride yesterday.  Once we were done and back in the car, she was asleep in minutes.  She took a long nap too.  She didn’t wake up until 7:30 – 8:00pm.  – We’re really having fun with the mimicking thing with her.  She has a couple new catch phrases, and she says them with attitude.  It is so cute and so funny. She says, “Say what!” and, “You missed a spot, boy” (pronounced: ‘boeeee’).  Then there is the weird one…I tried to get her to say, “No you didnt!” but for some reason,  she counters with, “I don’t think so!”.  Neither Daddy nor I can figure out where she got this one.  She’s quite the little ham/actress.  We saw a commercial for an interactive karaoke, video device for kids that I think we’ll try to get her for her birthday.  It hooks up to the TV and you can see yourself and hear over the TV.  A song plays in the background that the child karaoke sings to.  That would be a blast!

Today I’m grateful for Frank and Lexie, gratitude journals, swimming, weekends, rain, pets, happiness, gum, kindness, art, photos, and peace.

1 comment:

rvodyssey said...

Your biking experience reminds me of the last time I went cycling with Bob & Connies grand kids (ages 14 and 16). We were on dirt (they had dirt bikes but I did not). I fell trying to stop and then could not get started again, the bike kept going in the wrong direction. I finally had to send them away so I could do it without an audience. I was so not graceful.

Susie