Friday, January 28, 2005

That's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it...Uh huh, Uh huh

So I'm starting my blog a little early today, but I was intrigued with another person's blog and my comment to her got so long, and yes verbose, that I decided to use it as part of my blog post. She writes that she is not wanting to have a child of her own because of the state of this world. I am so torn by this sentiment that I almost have to force myself to stop typing my truly biased opions. After all, I am a 34 year old new mother of a two year old angel. So anyway, what follows is my commentary to Kelly's perspective on motherhood:

"I am literally amazed at how similar our views are on some things. Your blog on children intrigues me. I had a pact with my best friend years ago that we would never have children. That was back when I was twenty years old. My Father and step-mother paid for my then husband to have a vasectomy as a wedding present. Then we divorced and I met my current husband, and let me tell you, everything changed. I have always been raised with cats, currently I have five, and they are my children also. I started out saying that I was too selfish, wanted to live my own life, would be a bad parent because of it, I was always going to be a child myself anyway (and I still am!) Then, when the "maternal instinct" started to hit me in my late, late 20's early 30's, It was exactly then that the 911 terrorist attack happened and it threw me into a tailspin of fear and worry about how humans were so awful and how can we survive, etc. I still ocassionally fight with the heart-renching fear and worry of what the world will be like for my daughter. But as they say (who are they, anyway?), love conquers all. Lexie is the most precious gift God could have ever blessed me with and I can't imagine life without her. The world seems to have changed so much since I was growing up, but somehow wonderful things still take place. Fear is the cruelest and most dangerous evil that exists, and when it prevents anyone from sharing the love and friendship motherhood provides, it is treacherous. I am truly glad for you that you are able to experience a piece of this with your nephew. Thanks again for your posts."

So anyway, I had an early morning soap box that I am now stepping down from, and I hope I didn't offend her or seem pushy.

I'll blog more later at lunch.

No comments: